Brand names include: Valcivir | Zelitrex
Active ingredient: Valacyclovir
Valtrex is a medical product having a selective and expressed action for viruses of herpes of the different types.
The active component Valacylovir stops the cycle of the formation of the virus DNA and makes its integration into cells impossible.
This drug does not destroy the virus itself. It allows it developing and affecting new cells.
The so called blockade of the viral DNA occurs which may penetrate into the healthy cells and start dividing under the influence of the external or internal irritations.
Also, this drug stimulates the immune system and this gives an additional protection against the appearance of the symptoms of the herpes virus.
It is known, that the herpes virus is in our body constantly but when the immune system of the human is not weakened it controls the appearance of the rash.
But as soon the immune system weakens under the influence of the different factors you may notice the disease symptoms at once.
This way, Valtrex helps to regulate the immune system within a short period of time and restrict possibilities of the infected cells.
The first pharmacological effect may be notices in 2-3 days of the treatment.
Itching, tingling, painful sensations disappear in the patient and the process of new rashes is completely stopped.
But in order to gain the maximal therapeutic effect it is needed to have a full course of the treatment.
Directions for the use:
- Therapy of herpes zoster it relieves pain, removes inflammation, regulates the general condition of the patient
- treatment of the herpetic infection of the skin and mucous membranes including the genital area
- removal of the herpes manifestations of the upper and lower lip
- before sexual intercourse – Valtrex reduces a chance of the herpetic infection
- transplantations of the organs to arrest reactions of the graft rejection.
Valtrex tablets are prescribed by the attending doctor after the prior consultation and having the laboratory studies of your body.
It is needed to determine the exact quantity of all rashes in order to control the efficiency of the therapy.
- Valtrex is released in the tablets for the oral use. Each tablet contains 500 mg of Valacyclovir (active component)
- Treating the herpetic infection of the skin including genital one the dosage regimen is 2 tablets per day ,in the morning and evening
- To treat herpes zoster 1 g is prescribed 3 times per day within 7 days.
- The length of the treatment usually does not increase 7 days because the action of the drug starts almost at once and all symptoms of the disease completely disappear in one week.
- Valtrex is contraindicated patients with hypersensitivity to Valacyclovir, acyclovir and any inflammatory ingredient added into the drug.
- In case of the clinically expressed types of HIV the drug should be taken with special caution and only under the supervision of the doctor.
- Valtrex is allowed for the use during pregnancy if your attending doctor expects the effect of the therapy which increases the potential risk for the fetus.
Possible Side effects
The side effects may be at the first days of the drug use.
This is a natural reaction of the body while taking the strong drug, however this will not influence on the results of the treatment and health condition of the patient.
The most common side effects are:
- nausea, vomiting, low appetite
- dizziness, headache, excessive fatigability.
In case of the hypersensitivity to Valacyclovir the allergic reaction may appear. In these cases, the further treatment with this drug is contraindicated.